How to get from Cancun airport to Tulum
There are several ways to get from Cancun Airport to Tulum:
- Shared Shuttle: Many shuttle companies offer shared transportation services from the Cancun airport to Tulum. You can also book some of these in advance online or at the airport.
- Taxis: Taxis are available outside Cancun airport terminals. They will take you directly to Tulum, but prices may be quite high.
- Car rental: Rent a car in Cancun and drive to Tulum, but be aware. Driving in Mexico can be chaotic at first. The road from Cancun to Tulum needs to be well-maintained, so take precautions.
- Public bus: ADO bus is one of the most typical bus companies in the region. They have routes from Cancun airport to Tulum, but the trip may be extended and less comfortable than the other options.
- Private transfer: Private transfer services can take you directly from the airport to Tulum. This option is usually more expensive than the other options, but more comfortable and convenient than other transportation methods. Shuttle from Cancun to Tulum is available from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm.
Where is Tulum Located?
Tulum is about 130 miles (209.21 km) south of Cancun. The trip from Cancun to Tulum takes about 2.5 to 3 hours by car, depending on traffic and road conditions. The distance is similar if you take the bus or the shared shuttle, but the trip can take longer, around 4 to 5 hours.
Getting from Cancun to Tulum – Tips
It's important to note that the route from Tulum to Cancun combines highway and secondary roads. As a result, it can be chaotic, especially during peak travel times. Also, road conditions can be poor in some areas, so driving carefully and preparing for a potentially bumpy ride is essential.
Map with distance from Cancun Airport to Tulum:
Is Uber Available in Cancún?
Yes, Uber is available in Cancun. Uber's use in Cancun has been regularized as of early January 2023.
You should know that there are not many Uber drivers at the moment, so the cost for trips in and out of Cancun are quite high, even for distances of less than 2 km.
When you arrive at the airport, you must take into account that there is a lot of traffic at the entrance, if you ask for this type of service it is best to walk to the entrance where the vehicles park, so you will quickly find your driver because they charge per minute and the cost of your transfer can increase up to 20% more. Therefore, Uber's service in Cancun is not recommended at this time.
Private transportation from Cancun airport to Tulum
Several private transportation options are available from Cancun International Airport to Tulum. These include:
- Private transportation: This is a door-to-door service where a driver will pick you up at the airport and take you to your destination in Tulum. This is a convenient and comfortable option, and the cost can be comparable to a taxi.
- Luxury shuttle service: Some companies offer luxury limousine services from the airport to Tulum. Limousine is a more expensive option, but it can be great if you want to arrive in style and comfort.
- Group Transportation: This option is great for groups of people traveling together. A private van will pick you up at the airport and take you to your destination in Tulum.
Getting to Tulum from Cancun by shared shuttle
Shared shuttle services are a popular and convenient way to get from Cancun to Tulum. These services typically operate regularly and pick up passengers from various locations, including airports and hotels. Here are a few things to keep in mind when booking a shared shuttle:
- Book in advance: It's best to book in advance if you want to have a seat on the shuttle. This can be done online or at the airport counters.
- Schedule: Book your shared shuttle services in advance. This way, you can have a safe trip from the airport or hotel to Tulum or any other nearby destination.
- Pick-up and drop-off locations: Shared shuttles typically pick up passengers from multiple locations. Be sure to confirm the pick-up and drop-off locations in advance.
- Cost: Shared shuttles are often less expensive than private transfers, but prices can vary depending on the company and the time of year.
- Luggage: Know the company's baggage policy and ensure you carry the right amount of luggage. Check if they charge surcharges for oversize or excess luggage.
- Reviews: Check all positive and negative reviews of the company before booking to ensure a good service.
Shared shuttle services can be a cost-effective way to get from Cancun to Tulum. Still, booking in advance, checking the schedule, and being aware of the company's policy for luggage and pick-up and drop-off locations are essential.
How to get to Tulum from Cancun downtown
- Bus: ADO is one of the most common bus companies in the region; they have routes from downtown Cancun to Tulum, but the trip may be extended and less comfortable than the other options.
- Car rental: You can rent a car in Cancun downtown and drive to Tulum, but be aware that the driving can be a bit chaotic in Mexico, and the road from Cancun to Tulum needs to be better maintained.
- Private transfer: Private transfer services can take you from Cancun downtown to Tulum. This option is usually more expensive than the other options but is more comfortable and convenient.
- Shuttle bus: Some shuttle companies offer transportation services from Cancun downtown to Tulum. You can book these in advance online or at your hotel.
- Taxi: Taxis are available in Cancun downtown and can take you directly to Tulum. However, the fare can be pretty expensive.
FAQs about getting from Cancun to Tulum
Here are a few frequently asked questions (FAQs) and answers about how to get from Cancun to Tulum:
How far is Cancun from Tulum?
Cancun is about 130 miles (209.21 km) north of Tulum. Travel time from Cancun to Tulum is approximately 2 hours. The duration of the trips will depend on the traffic and weather on the day you are traveling.
How long does it take to get from Cancun to Tulum?
The drive from Cancun to Tulum typically takes about 2.5 to 3 hours by car, depending on traffic and road conditions. The distance by bus is similar, but the trip can take longer, around 4 to 5 hours.
What is the best way to get from Cancun to Tulum?
The best ways to get from Cancun are shared shuttle, bus, Cancun car rental, private transfer, and taxi.
Can I take a bus from Cancun to Tulum?
Yes, however, you must first take a service that will take you to the bus station, and from there, you can take the next bus to Tulum. The most popular bus agency to go from Cancun to Tulum is ADO.
Are there any direct flights from Cancun to Tulum?
No, there are no direct flights from Cancun to Tulum. At the moment, there is no airport in Tulum, so you must find a method of transportation to get from Cancun to Tulum.
Can I rent a car in Cancun and drive to Tulum?
You can rent a car in Cancun and then drive to Tulum. However, you must be careful, as the road needs to be maintained, and you may encounter a pothole on the way.
Check this Tulum Car Rental agency and discover the best way to move from one destination to another without worries.
Is Uber available in Cancun and Tulum?
Yes, Uber has been available in Cancun and Tulum since January 2023.
Can I book a private transfer from Cancun to Tulum in advance?
Yes, it is possible to book a private transportation service in Tulum; however, you must do so in advance to ensure your preferred transfer time and vehicle.
→ Also, read this Cancun's Airport guide for 2023